Skip to Content


What is a pre-req

Prereq is short for prerequisite coursework and refers to any course you are required to successfully complete before you can take another course.  Prereqs are used to assure that students have the appropriate background training before they enroll in a course.  Instructors plan what and how they teach based on the learning objectives of the prereqs.  Because of this, prereqs are strictly enforced.  The minimum grade to clear a prereq in the department of Human Physiology is a C.

Will AP or IB credits be sufficient to clear some HPHY requirements?

Yes – provided the scores earned on AP/IB tests meet minimums to warrant credit.  When requirements are cleared a ‘grade’ of P* is assigned.  This is the only circumstance where a ‘P’ grade will clear a course requirement in HPHY. ***Note – Because P* grades are not technically considered a letter grade, students with P*’s on HPHY prereq courses may require an override to register for upper level courses in HPHY.

What are ‘List C’ credits?

List C opportunities are not courses, but rather a variety of options for independent learning.  They offer variable credit, meaning you can take them for one or more credits (1 credit hour = 3 hours of work per week, or 30 hours over the course of a term) and department or instructor approval is required.  Up to four credits of List C, may be used to fulfill the upper division HPHY elective requirement.  There are many ways to earn List C credits – studying abroad, completing a practicum, working in the dissection or other HPHY laboratories are just a few.

What is the difference between MATH246 & MATH251?

Math 246 is Calculus for Biological Sciences and Math 251 is General Calculus I. Human Physiology majors can take either to fulfill the calculus requirement.  MATH246 emphasizes applications to biology while MATH251 is more all-purpose calculus for the physical and social sciences.  Because of its more general applications, it is often easier to obtain tutoring for MATH251 than it is for MATH246 which is more specialized.

Help! Where can I get a tutor?

Many students find that compared to their high school, community college or even other four year university classes, being successful in courses at UO requires refining study skills and habits.  The University Teaching and Learning Center (TLC) (link: has a variety of programs to aid student learners.  From traditional one-on-one tutoring, to small group tutoring sessions, to drop-in support for study skills, TLC is the best ‘one-stop’ department on campus for academic support.

Can I complete the HPHY A&P core courses in a year?

Yes. HPHY 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, and 371 are designed to be taken as a year-long sequence. These required courses add up to 29 credits (fall term = 10 credits; winter term = 10 credits; spring term = 9 credits), so students should be careful about adding additional courses that will add to the workload these terms.  Many students find that taking just A&P during fall term (and perhaps two easy elective credits if attending full-time is necessary) is the best way to gain solid footing in the sequence.

Which courses do I have to take with a “graded” option?

Each of the courses used to satisfy the major requirements must be be taken for a letter grade, except for HPHY 401, 403, 404, 405, 408, 409, and 420 for which only pass/no-pass is available. Required courses may be repeated only once, including attempts that result in a grade of “W”. Students MUST maintain a 2.0 overall GPA and a 2.0 GPA in courses required for the major with no course grade lower than a mid C.

Am I going to graduate on time?

Check your transcripts and degree guide often to make sure that you are successfully completing all the requirements. Refer to the 4 year plan for an example of one degree path. Meet with your advisor to customize an approach that works best for you.